Saturday, April 5, 2014

Welcome to the dark syde Banner

Welcometothedarksyde on DA asked me if I could make him a snazzy banner after he saw the very nicely made journal (see here BANNERS BY PEARLLIGHT180!) that his buddy 3rdeye88 made to promote my work as part of the deal when I made him a Matteo banner.

The request was to use a MOC he built which is black and yellow; has no name. He said he liked the look of Makuta Nazo's banner, and would like a style similar to that. At first he said he wanted a dark charcoal gray backdrop, but then felt white could work too. 

By that point I had already started making the banner, so I kind of flipped through the options, and went ahead to make three different choices for him to decide on. (And no, I don't feel like doing this for every banner...unless I'm being payed, then I would). The above poster is to display all three versions for easier sharing.

 My first version was the dark charcoal backdrop one (above); and at first I had a different icon, but was then provided with a better image to work with. Since the charcoal gray wasn't too dark, I was able to add black splotches, and then yellow splotches as requested. I then used the same font I did for Makuta Nazo's banner, only this time made it yellow and added color fade.
To me, cropping the character in a silver circle looked quite appealing, but this was just one option.

 I went ahead and experimented with a white backdrop instead. The colors still looked pretty good, but I had to change the font and give it a sun fade filter to make it show up. Then I realized the silvers circle would have to go, it clashed too much with white; so instead I tried using a black ring to draw attention to the figure.
 My last choice was to try a square crop instead of a circle, that way I could show all of the figure's top half, while hiding the fact that part of his arm is slightly cropped off in the photo. I find overall, the square one is my least favorite, I prefer the ones with circles (specifically the one with black and silver, but that's just me). Hopefully one of these three choices will be good for "welcometothedarksyde".
Also a last minute choice, the above version uses Blade Runner font (my first choice during the art process). I was unable to decide if I should keep it or not (seems to look very nice, and is a great exclusive banner choice).

No comments:

Post a Comment