These are the two raw images as pencil sketches before color. Left is jungle Matoran, and right is the tree home. Funny how far a little color will carry a picture.
Wednesday, September 4, 2013
In last post I displayed what was labeled as the Gali Mistika revamp panel. http://bionicfuzion.blogspot.com/2013/08/gali-mistika-revamp.html Soon after displaying it on DA I got feed back, and to my surprise, a few critiques and pointers. Shorjok advised that I not use the term revamp, being that this model is more like a simple modified figure, and also that I should display fewer images on one canvas, for a character which doesn't contain tons of detail. His exact words were- "I understand that this is just for fun and more of a modification than anything - so why call it a revamp? Not criticizing you for lack of parts, of course, just your choice of words. A revamp is pretty much a complete overhaul - rebuilding a canon bionicle from scratch.Given the simplicity of the build, I also wouldn't recommend trying to fit so many images onto one canvas - they're unnecessary since there isn't much detail to show. Just show what needs to be shown; the poses are nice but they don't add much to the artwork in general. For example, these mocs fav.me/d6gytz2 and fav.me/d56mba2 are both highly detailed yet the guys who made them have only used 3 or 4 pictures - because that's all it needs.So yeah, I hope this helped."
Soon after Shorjok's comment, I was told by MataNui2001 that the Nuva chest plate needed to be higher. In reality I knew about this problem, only it's not the chest plate which needed tweaking, it was the lower body. Both these critiques encouraged me to embrace the advise with an open mind, and a day later after receiving this advise, I found a way to tweak both Gali, and Hahli into figures with appealing build that have left me more satisfied than I was with them before; and I've playfully started calling this process (the Hahli, Gali project). I took Shorjok's advise, and now know of a proper label for figures like these, which is why I now call it a modified model, not a revamp. I also considered his advise about using fewer images to show off detail on a simple figure. This resulted in the above panel of my new modified Mistika model, which embraces minimalism, but displays detail from more than one angle, something I disregarded slightly before when creating my first panel.
One other thing I decided to do alongside the main panel of this improved model, is make a sticker sheet to go alongside with the previous Gali panel (displayed below on the right) from previous post. This fun concept of making sticker sheets out of the images I clean for panel display clicked in my mind after I left a response to Shorjok's critique. My words to his comment (listed at the beginning of this post)- "I get what you mean. Honestly the only reason I labeled it as a revamp is because I didn't know what else to call it...and I'm not the most experienced in labels for this sort of thing. As for the tip on using fewer images, the only reason why I crammed all the images of the character onto one canvas is because I hate deciding which ones to use for a poster, that and if you're like me, I look at the panel as something that can easily be turned into a scrapbook supply, which in this case would be a sheet of stickers. So, that's why I put all fifteen images in; but, thanks for the advise, good tips."
After I responded, I thought to myself, what a fun idea to continue. So, I took Shorjok's advise with making smaller panels with less pictures to serve as main deviations, but I also decided to make panels of large listings for the sake of special edition packages which could be turned into personal Bionicle themed stickers, or used later for scrapbook products. I stayed true this fun concept, and made a second large panel of all eight images from the new photo collection, just to display the improved version of Gali as a sticker sheet containing one of each picture taken. New version is listed (left) alongside previous version (right) just below.