Thursday, April 25, 2013
The incredible part is, the drawing is huge, yes, but to think at the time I didn't know I was actually missing a few inches for the actual true size of an average Toa. Toa are said to be 7' 2'' on average, but the drawing I made is seven foot.
It was my dream and strong desire to make something that could help me visualize the actuality of something from fantasy. The closest thing I could think of to make that dream a reality was to attempt making a full scale drawing of one of my favorite characters. My luck struck in for this full scale fantasy when I found a large sheet of banner paper at a craft store. I was entirely exited, though I knew how much work it would take to make this dream drawing.
First thing I did was measure out my head size onto the paper sheet, then I measured proper length and cut the sheet to size. From there I had a long day set out for me, and all of it spent in the hallway. I stood up on a step stool and taped the scroll to the wall and floor, then picked up my pencil and Lewa figurine and got to work. Judging my head size as reference to that of the Lewa figurine, I measured out the rest of his body according to that scale. Shoulders ended up being about three feet in width. I used a yardstick to aid me in making it as clean as I could; and from the time of starting it, to end of inking it, I spent a total of 15 hours in one day, making this drawing. By the time I was done, I was tired as midnight started nearing, and I sat on the floor gazing up at my very first full sized masterpiece; all I could think is, "So that's what Lewa would be like".
There were a few complications during time of work. My neck cramped if I looked up too long, by back cramped if I stood there too long, and during my time spent on a step stool while sketching, I gave the wall my very own pencil smudge hand print... oops. Thankfully that last mistake was cleanable, and forgiven.
Inking the piece was a pain since I used a marker to do it. A few times I feared I was going to run out of ink...next time a brush and ink method I do believe is in order. Why do I say next time..? Well, even after making something this large, I still have some leftover paper; and I was thinking about trying another character someday...maybe Tahu or Pohatu. I know that next time around I may have better luck with proportions and symmetry too.
Below is a second photo taken during this year over the back door. I took it because I didn't know if I liked being in the image.... but after viewing it again, I realized standing beside it helped show its scale; that and the drawing was right next to a door frame for even better reference of how big the drawing really is. So it's official, I decided that the original is still better, but it looked more pleasing as a black and white image.
There you have it guys, let your dreams run wild, and think BIG. ^.~
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
This was all a simple day dream, and I set out to make it a sketch and art piece as of recently. I'm considering making another half to this image as a mini comic; a before scene of the two Agori pranksters discussing the idea and making the call, then a pan over of them laughing their heads off after the scene above is shown. That of course is a future project idea, and may never get finished; depends on my mood and if anyone likes the idea to make more for this scene.
Process: I started out with a pencil sketch (below) that at first seemed like a challenge, but turned out more quickly then I expected. After a moment of thinking I decided to put it on the computer and outline it digitally. After that whole process I printed it out on some heavy weight, textured card stock. The coloring process is mixed media, consisting mostly of colored pencil with a little marker and jell pen. Last step was to scan it again, add some background color digitally, and complete the piece with speech bubbles and text.