Monday, April 7, 2014

Venuhi banner

Noah Carlin asked me to make a banner for his character Venuhi, and I must say the theme of this one was slightly more difficult to craft while keeping it orderly and focused.

His character is an ice type, with the additional detail that he's so powerful, dry ice temperatures are like child's play to him. N.C. wanted a black backdrop with snow falling, and additional blood splotches and flames. The blood splotches and flames relate to back history of the character; which I was told his village was burnt down. Those details actually seemed rather interesting, quite deep and sad, sounding like a story history I would cook up *cough*.

I tried what I could; first I concentrated on the ice part. I made the edges of the border icy, and added snow fall in the background as best I could. Second thing I tackled was blood blotches (which I chose red, but there's really no telling if that's accurate for beings of this mythical realm). Blood, ice, and snowfall, the scene was already coming together. My hardest challenge was adding fire to signify this figures past; I used both blue and red flames to match the overall color scheme, while still showing it's fire. I went through so much tweaking; and then finally I got to the name (at first I started with white) but then I changed it to red and put it on a white frame, making the name look important and sort of going off the theme of blood on snow (not sure if that's what Noah wants) but I did what seemed fitting. I'll also note the creative placement of the figure; I made it look like Venuhi is walking through the snow and flames, holding his weapon with determination, almost like his character has seen much destruction, and he's determined to keep moving.

The final display is very colorful I'll admit, very bold with hot and cold tones. I feel like it's very busy, but I did my best to keep all the key elements in while still keeping your attention to what's important (seems to be pretty good).

No comments:

Post a Comment