Monday, April 7, 2014

Killonn banner

 ToaLighton312 asked for a banner quite some time ago, again I'm getting to it late. I have a lot to say about this one, with all its awesome new elements thrown in.

TL312 said his character's name is Killonn, and wields the elements of blood and absorption. I knew right away what color scheme would work, and those two elements just say dark and powerful.

Before I go further, here's what I absolutely must share.  SaidoDieono on DA directed me to a great site called Brusheezy a place that has free brushes for PS use. He said I could use some better flames and stuff for my work; and at first I couldn't seem to get the downloads to cooperate, and then it happened, I somehow managed to make them work on PSE, and was absolutely thrilled. I found a lightning stack, an odd whimsical fire stack (which I used for this project), and then a basic flame stack. The most useful stack has been the whimsical fire stack, made by Modblackmoon; who in her generosity has provided amazing brushes for free use in any project, and even crazier, doesn't require feedback (but that just doesn't seem totally fair, so I'm crediting her brushes anyway).

I chose a black backdrop since it was the perfect choice for the color scheme. The photo provided was cropped funny, so I had to approach it the way I did "Welcome to the Darksyde" banner; and cropped it with a circle, then placed him on a silver disk. The next step was fun (did take some adjusting though). I applied blood blotches with my basic blotch brush, then tackled the element of absorption by using the awesome new brushes. I remember in the first Bionicle movie, the Rahkshi of hunger had a purple and white glow to its staff as it drained the power from Onua; and that's the exact color scheme I used. I made it look like Killonn was stretching his hand out and absorbing the energy from his victims, all of this power sparking and drawing to him (notice how the the waves all head for the silver disk he's displayed on.) My last task was adding a name, which I wanted a unique font to match the theme of blood, so I found a site called 1001 Free Fonts.com and stumbled on a font called "Your Bloody Choice"; just the font I needed (though I'll note it was made for personal use only). My obvious color choice was red with additional effects, and I loved the way it worked.
I think this thing is awesome, hope Toa Lighton thinks so too.

No comments:

Post a Comment