Friday, March 21, 2014

Bionicle Laboratory photos- 2010

First Lab Floor
 Back in 2010 during role play session of LoL; I obtained an old cupboard with a bottom shelf area that became my number one spot for a laboratory to play in. 

I've always enjoyed making scenery and medical equipment for Bionicle (not sure why); it's always been a game to invent things that work for photo shoots and play. Here's what's fun, this mini lab (no longer assembled and long put away) has two floors, both of which contain a multitude of random objects you might not have expected useful as props.

The first floor of the lab is my favorite; me and my friend used it so often in LoL that it became a magical spot for play. I added in white LED Christmas lights to the wall with sticky tack (needed a light source of some kind to see, and white LED's make the perfect creepy lab lighting look).

To the left of the room is a control panel made of LEGO parts sitting next to a tool chest; this structure was used to represent the control panel used for anonymous equipment in the room. Then come the following objects in the close up right corner image below.
 
 I used an off brand Barbie medic table (left in above image), complete with heat lamp, shelves, and drawers that actually hold things. On the shelves I added random lego things that I used for medical stuff in story, also threw in some cloth strips (bandages). On the top of this research table I added assembled lego props of medicine bottles and a medical book propped on a holder. Next to that is a tray that came with the desk, and a metal bottle cap I use for a bowl to hold whatever. Then there's the purple table and chairs (part of a Barbie camping set), which I used a study table; complete with lego prop that has a microscope, control panel, and overhead lamp. I also included a mini trash can on the table, and on the floor another trash can made from a creamer container. The last elements in the corner are a broken lava lamp (the black wax used to represent some kind of shadow jell which is contained in this "light chamber" for study), and a candy container made to look like a tool chest with a few actual opening drawers that I put stuff in.
In the right corner I put all my LEGO made equipment. There are two medical beds (for different purposes) made with lego parts, and then there's the rolling monitor and medical crane for lifting heavy equipment. The main medical bed was the most used and liked during play; I made it so it could roll, tilt, and hold the character on by putting their hands throw the silver clips (which serve as restraints in the story). As for the crane (that tall yellow thing), it was rather top heavy, but I made it to look like it worked as crane, complete with a red start button and direction arrow buttons.
The close up angled view of the bed and monitors (seems kind of menacing, which is what I was going for). Isn't it cool? Now if only the monitor lit up and were green instead of orange. I also added a flexible hook hand that holds onto the IV jar (bag) complete with tube. One day I might try to make a better designs of this equipment, and possibly do a video on how to assemble your own lab stuff, and how to set up a scene with it.
The second medical bed (above) in the very corner (sorry for the blurriness) was used here and there for play, mostly used by villains, and not usually a pleasant medical devise. This design was interesting, but rather unstable; I could never get it to stay together whenever I put a figurine on it, so we rarely used it for play.
Second Lab Floor (basement)
The second floor of my cupboard lab is the basement essentially. I sort of just pretended there were back rooms and a staircase to the lower floor. Again, lots of anonymous objects were used, most of them not LEGO like the top floor. I figured the basement would be where odd ball equipment, and specimens would be held. The lower floor is basically messy and made for study (or in depth research), such as scans, medicine making, and stuff like that.
In the left corner we have lots of odd objects. The metal table is made from a overturned bread pan; on top of it there's a wooden box of water for cooling hot metal that's been heated on the stove and forged on the mini anvil. Usually small objects like medical blades are made here. The small stove is made of lego parts, and next to it is a bowl of small fish (looks like someone is making soup). Next to that is another small microscope, a scanner made of lego parts, and a purple sand hourglass. In the very corner are specimens, one of a black bohrok in its canister, and one of an aquatic dragon held in an old percolator beaker (now serving as a fish tank). Then next to that is a smaller jar (also used for specimens). Next to the tanks is a bookcase made of cardboard and duck tape; on its shelves I put prototype weapons (specifically different kinds of ray guns), a specialty shield, and some experimental armor (oh, and a lego made metal detector) :P As for the strange thing in the middle of the room, that's a generator to the building (made of three Toa canister lids stacked on top of each other, three energy glowing rods, and a containment energy sphere a marble propped on the Toa face in the center)

In the right corner of the basement is an X-ray/healing ray bed (made form a foam block, a plastic lid, and some stiff fabric). I made the X-ray/ healing ray things from lego parts (they too didn't stay together very well). There's also that weird yellow and red thing next to the bed; I used it as an artificial blood producer (because this red stuff dribbles in it, and slides down the yellow thing. To the far right is a Barbie store shelf used to hold random goods (nets, masks, stones, medicines, extra supplies). And on top of the shelf is a mini green house made to hold rare plant and bug species; next to that is some kind of medicinal alien bamboo (both things made from lego parts).

And that's the entire lab (someday I may remake the lab, add in better equipment, and show you how to make fun scenes for Bionicle photo shoots. ^.~

No comments:

Post a Comment