Saturday, January 25, 2014

To Market- LoL illustration

To Market
(To Market) is a scene for my soon to be shared first chapter of LoL, "The Encounter". The story chapter starts with Lewa walking down a jungle road, taking a nice morning stroll as he heads for a local jungle market.

I've been hoping to make at least one simple picture for each chapter, and digital painting seems to be the fastest way to express the scenes in my head. Unfortunately, the scenes in my head tend to look different once I slap them down on canvas.... maybe I'll get better at it.

I'll note this picture is quite large, and though Lewa may be small from a distance, he has some details when you zoom in on him.

 In my head I saw this scene form a lower angle, more like from a first person view looking up the hill as Lewa comes down. From this angle in my head, I saw the trees bark and trunks, and only a glance of the leaves from side angle. When I put down the paint and twiddled with textured brushes, I found the scene formed into its own angle, where you're looking at Lewa from an above perspective, as though you were a Le-Matoran looking down at him from a very high tree. 
I guess art tends to turn out how it wants to, and I find it difficult to sketch the proper angle in which I see something in my head..so of course their are variations when I start to make the image.

Though not entirely as I hoped it to be, this illustration, I hope, gives you the same sense as it does me. It's suppose to feel like a misty morning in the jungle, where thick clouds can be seen on the hill horizon, and the scent of ionized jungle air is all around; that smell that comes before a good rain.

If you were to actually stand in a scene like this, you would feel the wind on your face, the air would smell of fruit and flowers, mixed with that dusty rain scent. The dirt would be cool and slightly moist to the feet, all but the trail which is slightly harder dirt that's been trampled on for ages. A light mist would cover your skin and the sound of thunder in the distance can be heard, along 
with chatter of jungle ambiance.

I hope to one day improve in digital painting skills, but till them I'm glad to share what I'm capable of doing as of the moment. 

Stay tuned for the Life of Lewa chapter, "The Encounter"! ^.~

No comments:

Post a Comment