Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Ice Towers of Knowledge


A long time ago I gave my hand at trying something more background related. These ice towers are based off of the knowledge towers of Ko-Metru. At the time I was again rather secretive about Bionicle being an inspiration to my work, but these towers were purely based off the idea.

Since they really didn't show much of what the Ko-Metru Knowledge towers looked like, I invented my own versions. I figure some of them could be fancier than others, and have metal supports that serve as decoration. That's what the silver is on the towers. The domed tower on the left would be the building for quiet study and reading. At the top floor with the domed roof would be a massive library full of astrological charts, rock samples, and books having to do with the celestial bodies. On the right is the observatory tower, which is why the top of it has a telescope sticking out of it. These two towers were built to be efficient and work together, and are likely connected by an ice bridge for scholars of both towers to share information.

In the background I just felt it needed an massive mountain; and a gray, snow filled sky. I figure these towers may be important, so they're built near a mountain to make them difficult to intrude. Not to mention Ko-Matoran prefer absolute silence, and very little noise reaches beyond those cliffs.

This was actually one of my few first tries in making a landscape scene, and I'm actually surprised that I managed to make it look so cold and snowy, even though I have very little experience in texture technique. I'm also surprised that this picture still looks pretty good for it being about four some years old or so, maybe a little older than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment