Saturday, December 29, 2012

Voya Nui Etch a sketch version


There are many different art forms out there, one of the kinds that takes either a natural gift or a trained hand would be the etch a sketch. Many years ago when I received my first etch a sketch, I tried my hand at drawing cities, soon leading up to me drawing a funny little robot based off Matoro, one of my favorite characters (below).

In my boredom a few months ago, I decided to pick up my etch a sketch once more, and this time give my hand at forming the island of Voya Nui, surrounded by treacherous waters and mapped out with wonky letters that resemble computer-like connection. 
     Letters are rather complicated to form on an etch a sketch, and getting them centered is even more difficult, which is why the name Bionicle shrinks down to lower case letters near the edge of the board, ending with a barely noticeable "e". I had to do this dew to lack of space.

After taking a photograph with flash of my new Voya Nui sketch; it took very little time to crop, and adjust lighting. I love the result of gray blue from the adjusting, and as for the strange ripples that make the background appear as surrounding waters, those ripples are oddly enough part of my etch a sketch screen.
 (Above) my first Bionicle etch. At the time I didn't say it was a Bionicle, but it was certainly based off Matoro. I was embarrassed to admit my interest in the tale way back then, none the less it was inspiring me as an artists even then.  

This etch a sketch version of Matoro is sort of hieroglyphic in style, stiff but meaningful. Not sure why I put the cube, but I figure it has something to do with robots and fighting over certain objects of power in practically every type of story line. Who knows, maybe the legendary cube from Transformers landed in the Bionicle universe at one time.... they just figured out it was dangerous and launched it back into space. 


These two images are original versions of the etch a sketch photos. 
Editing did them justice in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment