Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Pearllight Origins Book Cover

Pearllight Origins is a long developing fan fiction about my MOC character directly. The two concept covers above may be a somewhat odd style of realistic and painted together, but the concept is what counts, right? I may or may not make a more official cover at a later time for the series, one that's fully painted, but I think I like this one for the time being.

Since I play around with settings I've displayed the official choice on the left and the concept one on the right. The one without red eyes and hands felt too calm and open to me. 

Symbolism: Gali is the main Toa who is involved with my character in the series. Pearllight (me) wears a special stone she's not suppose to have and got it by accident when it fell to her planet through a portal. The crystal of elements, as it's known, is said to hold unknown energy that can be wielded to obey the wishes of the mind, which if in the wrong hands could be deadly. Teridax wants this stone for power and takeover, doing anything he can to get it from Pearl. Hence why Gali is on the left, lifting her hand to the stone which floats in reaction to high brain wave activity. Pearl stares up at her with mixed feelings of fear, hope, and curiosity. All the while spooky mist and symbolism of Teridax reaching from the darkness to get the stone is set in the background.

The fan fiction and its contents haven't even passed two chapters yet, but has developed through many years from the time I became a Bionicle fan to now. One day I hope to introduce the story fully.

Tips: Gali and Pearl are photographs adjusted to size and tweaked. The necklace is an actual quartz stone necklace I have, and it was held up with clear thread to get that floating look, shown below.
 Editing of course helps greatly.

Final notes, the hands of Teridax were made over a photo of my own hands, tweaked to have claws and be made of red clouds.
A future note.

I had eventually decided to play with the image more, and leaned away from the brightness of the first two with the symbolism of Makuta. Now I find that the grayer version actually seems to hold more menace in some hidden way than the previous versions.

I've come to like this poster/book cover over its relatives in certain ways.

2 comments:

  1. Kewl! Can I get a link for where the fanfic is located?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Well, one day I may include link to it, but currently it's not even past draft stages, so I don't have it available for everyone to read yet. I'll let you know though.

      Delete