Monday, June 29, 2015

Mata Nui Investigators Book Cover

Mata Nui Investigators (MN-I) is my newest fan fiction, a result of the MN-CN-I RP (Matachilli universe). The mini fan fiction is still in draft stages and currently still in writing stages, incomplete, but growing.

MN-I is about two Mata Nui guard investigators, a Bionicle mystery fan fiction. In this series Kyrian Silver and Sicline Orvel, investigators brought together as partners against their expectations, find themselves facing challenges in their job of solving complicated crimes all around the island. Both of them find their biggest challenge is to catch Makuta who taint the system of the island. Their biggest threat is Crazar, a Makuta scout and mob lord of his own rebellion from Teridax. He pulled away and took matters into his own hands, spreading toxins across the land to in attempt to enslave Toa and Matoran.

My basic goal has been to make book covers to introduce the stories I have in mind. Lets talk about the MN-I book cover stages and symbolism. Above are the first two stages of the cover with its torn border and green cloud cover on the edge. The pure white backdrop wasn't appealing and I made it shady at the top (that made it pop and emphasized on the Makuta, representing the shadows which loom over the investigators, watching them ). The green clouds were based off the color of Teridax's lair, but I decided it didn't fit too well.
That's when I created two different shades of cloud cover; mint grey (left), and blue vapor (as I call it). These two shades held a certain gloom I liked more, and pulled it all together.

Onto symbolism. A lot of my work is made according to symbolism which can tell a story before the words are written. The clouds of the border represent toxins and vaporous venoms (drugs) of the Makuta; they also stand for the mists of darkness. The mask is of Teridax is there to represent the Makuta as a whole and his control over his men failed when they rebelled and sided with Crazar, his head scout. The wings represent the wings of Crazar (the main Makuta who rebeled Teridax's reign and started his own Makuta mob. Crazar has wings for flight.) The red letters stand for the shades of Makuta and death the detectives deal with (color of blood). Then the detectives become the focus, and that blue ring that encompasses the abbreviation of the story name, the detective's heads, and the Makuta symbolism stands for a magnifying glass (only it's a representation of Siciline's crime scope, a scanner she connects to her mask, her focus on all things important).

Yes I used the already existing detective image I had on hand. Seemed fitting anyway, and I didn't feel like drawing a new image for concept cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment