Thursday, April 16, 2015

Dart Bullet Gun-encyclopedia page

The dart bullet gun and ammo were originally two separate things; the gun being a very old sketch from a purse notebook which I included in my Bionicle sketch dump, and the dart bullets were a concept sketch inspired off the red bullets that came in the Mahri guns. 

The bullets were the main concept. What inspired me to sketch them as automatic syringe like things? It's because during role play I would use the bullets as syringes or darts, seeing they stick and stay so easily in the peg holes of the figurines. That then led to the idea of them being shot out from a gun like a tranquilizer dart (as it's displayed in the lower right corner in the above image).

The gun sketch was an after thought. I sketched the gun and it remained a random weapon concept for a long time. It's not till after I included this sketch in my sketch dump and went through other old sketches like the dart bullets that I found these two random concepts could easily fit together. I figured why not? So I enlarged the gun sketch, slapped on some color, and suddenly it all came together.

I like the look of encyclopedia type pages, they're like a blog post that can be put anywhere. And so, the gun and bullets now have their own small trivia page, complete with example usage photo.
 I've included the sketch dump here. The gun near the center of the page is the dart gun before coloring. (Amazing what a little color does eh?). Right is the bullet dart sketch before tweaks and text.
A little more on that example usage photo in the corner of the trivia page. I set up a place for photo shoot and made the scene. Above is the original, raw image before adjustments.

I took pictures from several angles to experiment, and I always like having extras which tend to turn into their own project. That's right, I'll be posting some illustrations I made with the other two angles of this photo scene, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment