Thursday, February 2, 2017

Blown Up Stasis

I took some new photos today as part of an experiment in using this odd, puffy packaging which held a glass bottle. It's a clever design to prevent damage during shipping, but in my mind I saw more than a package great for glass bottle mailing. I saw a chance to play with it as some kind of puffy stasis chamber for a toy, specifically a Bionicle character.
My first snap shot actually seemed kind of cool for the opening of the series.
Marine was the only character I could think of that fit just snugly in the packaging, and the following scenes seemed appropriate for her character story wise.

These pictures are of course concepts of what could happen in a story involving Marine. I'm always reimagining or adding to ideas in my head.
I created the scene of a semi laboratory setting with stasis chamber using basic objects. A tracing board with black light and an LED flashlight beneath to create a glowing floor. On top I added shelf lining that's clear and lined, a way to add texture to the lab floor. The walls are a broken metal case I've kept from when I got a kit of cheap jell pens. Reflective surfaces naturally make it harder to take pictures without showing myself in the background, but I did what I could.
 
I added Bionicle tubing and stuck it to the packaging with sticky tack. The back side of the metal walls is held up with cardboard, and my light sources were kind of interesting. I used my Radha beauty diffuser as one of the light sources and small fog machine, then above I placed a plastic lid on the corner of my walls and set an LED flashlight on top for overhead lighting.
 
"Ah, Marine, you helpless little princess. Here you are, sleeping within a chamber I've kept for you, and while you sleep I shall rule in your place.Your people are proving to be stubborn, but soon they'll find their queen is less than tolerable of their disobedience."
There are a number of ideas I got from doing this photo shoot, all of them relating to the story of Marine, who's trouble with Queen Skaliska was part of the Life of Lewa fan fiction.
Basic ideas for that part of the story have already been written, but I still reimagine or add to the concepts in my head for fun and for a possible rewrite.

Marine's palace has an underground laboratory and science quarters for brilliant minds to play in. In one of many rooms there are sure to be some fantastic inventions, including prototype stasis chambers for healing, preserving, and studying any kind of life form. One of the stasis chambers is bouncy, appears to be glass, but doesn't break. Its walls are hollow tubes which make the structure oddly difficult to penetrate, and provides cushioning for the specimen within.


Who and why would someone want to put Marine, the water kingdom princess, into one of these stasis chambers somewhere in the deeper levels of the labs where few hardly venture? That's where the story would begin.

Obviously Queen Skaliska, the jealous queen Skrall/Makuta/ something else. She wishes to overthrow the water kingdom and take it as her own, which is the obvious reason Marine has been placed into such a dreary situation.

During Marine's sleep, Skaliska talks to her about all the terrible things she plans to do to the people who don't obey her. It pleases her greatly to converse with the helpless heir to the throne, but someone is bound to free Marine eventually.

Another concept could also be that Skaliska captured Marine and put her into stasis beneath the floor of her own devilish laboratory located within the mountains.

Skaliska enjoys tormenting, and especially enjoys milking regions of their valuables by holding an important member of them hostage.
To me the theme is spine tingling, but I wanted to heighten that mood by adding fog you could actually see. The mist of a diffuser doesn't always show up well on camera, so I turned to an artificial method.

I imagined the basement to be slightly foggy based on the idea that the stasis chambers work best when kept cool. There's probably a cooling system hooked up to the devices which vents and causes fog.

No comments:

Post a Comment