Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Trillahru and the Rope Machine

 
(Jan. 4, 2017)
 
Here's Trillahru using the newly invented rope machine. Rope is a great thing for sailing, but also for other things like book binding, garland making, multi colored embroidery, all that good stuff.
In the rope hut they have a hook or clamp hanging from the ceiling by another tightly pulled rope attached to a crank. One end of the rope is attached to that, then the other strands hook to the machine, and like any rope maker, you crank the handle and make rope.
 
Okay, seriously, what this is is a miniature rope maker created from 2001 Bionicle parts, mostly from creatures like the Rahkshi and Bohrok, but also a rahi and Toa set. 
It really works, and is friendly for both play and actual use. I spent about half an hour or so engineering it, most of that time spent looking for the right parts to make it work.
 
This idea came to mind while I sat at the craft desk feeling tired as I twisted a few strands of gold and white thread together for a book. This task done by hand seems to take forever, and gets terribly boring after awhile. This is when I asked myself if there was a way to make a hand crank device which could speed up the process of making variegated cording like bakers twine. After a moment, the idea sank in, and I knew just what I could use to put this idea to the test. This is when I went to my Bionicle parts and got to work.
First try, and I discovered it worked wonderfully. I learned a few things along the way too.
In order to get the perfect rope I have to remember that first I need to twist all my strands counter clockwise, pull them taught and attach them one at a time to the device, then crank the machine clockwise to get rope that doesn't unravel.
 
First test was done with black and purple cording, which Trill so happily displays above.
I think I can use the machine to twist the thread counter clockwise too, just have to attach each thread as I go.
Here's a basic view of the machine. I wish I could make a second component that spins the thread counterclockwise while the one end is spinning clockwise.
I knot the one end of the threads, and attach it to a magnifying clamp clip to keep tension. The end of the thread could be tied or hooked to anything, but I find the clamp easiest to use. after that I just have to attach the other threads to the loops or hook of the device, and crank the little handle. I'm in love with this thing.

The basic pictures of Trill cranking the machine and holding up the final product seemed decent enough as illustrations, but I added some eye glow to the scenes for extra interest.

The rope hut is located nearby to the thread maker of Ga Koro. It's a small hut with a bamboo mat floor and woven bamboo walls. The hut is, in a sense, portable, and it's roof is woven bamboo just as the walls, then covered in lily pad leaves for waterproofing.

Trill occasionally comes here to make herself rope for personal use, and at times for selling or exchange.

I did make versions of these images with green tinting to add that lily pad roof appeal, but decided I liked the warm light of the originals best.

The Matoran light the rope hut the same way they light their homes, using warm light stones or bioluminescent lamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment