Saturday, November 7, 2015

Hau Nuva Pumpkin

 I'm so happy to have this made. :) It seems I do a pumpkin carving every two years, and always after Halloween has passed. :P I listed the stencil for the Hau Nuva back in 2013, and now I've gotten to make my fourth Bionicle themed pumpkin.
 This year it only took several hours to make my carving from start to finish, the most time spent on scraping out a large amount of flesh from the inside since my details weren't the deepest, and carving deeper became difficult seeing the woodcarving tools are becoming dull. Total time minus breaks I'd guess about four some hours.

 Thankfully the camera still managed to pick up on the faint glow, my favorite picture being the one above with the illusion of an outlined mouth and eyes that appear to have glowing pupils.
Of coursse a side view of both cheeks is a fun way to show off details.
 The main thing I noticed was the heat coming off the two small tea candles placed inside. It made me amused and I had a day dream where I'm snapping pictures of the hot Tahu. xP

I'll admit, it was awkward too, I blew out the candles through his mouth hole because I didn't feel like turning the whole pumpkin around. My mothers side remark, "Must be the French way". :P I did find it oddly amusing.
Here's a view of it with lights on. Fun trivia, I didn't choose the pumpkin, it was brought home to me, which means it had some warts and blemishes I found a way to incorporate into the piece.
Note, Tahu has some warts (left). XD But the blemish I found was even more amusing is the mark on his left cheek (middle and right). This was a rough spot in the pumpkin, a bit more wood like and difficult to carve. 

I purposely placed the stencil around the area in such a way that it served as a partial infection beginning on his Kanohi from the poisonous scratch he received in the movie. This mark just coincidentally ended up on the proper side of his mask just like in the film. An infected and grouchy Tahu is a great scary theme if you ask me. ^.^

I noticed this particular carving pumpkin was rather dry compared to ones I've worked on in the past. I believe that's partly the reason it was more difficult to cut.
You can see here the close up details, notice how dry the flesh is, even after only briefly sitting. Cutting the eye holes and mouth was the final step, and then it was candle time.

No comments:

Post a Comment