Monday, December 9, 2013

Bionicle Christmas Party-2011

Full Overhead View
Back in 2011 I set up a very large Bionicle Christmas party scene. It's unfortunate that some of the main photos came out blurred because I was doing this late at night, and my hands were tired.
No matter, I've settled with sharing what I can from the album, and have salvaged and adjusted what I can, feeling it's best to share them instead of leaving them in old files on my computer.

The only adjustments made to the images were small level tweaks, and the additional doorway backdrop, to hide my bed covers peeping through the doorway holes. I chose a nice snowy backdrop, to make the doorways appear to be open and leading out into the snow covered evening.

The full party group (shown from overhead in the above image), is a compilation of fan fiction characters associated with my fan fiction "Life of Lewa". This party scene is actually an entire concept scene for the Life of Lewa story; where friends and family alike gather to celebrate a Human tradition for the fun of it. The following images listed below go into more detail about who the characters are, and why they're at the party.
Right Corner guest
In the right corner, we have mostly friends. The Mahri, Gelu and Berix, along with the two water females, are all friends. This corner shot was the clearer shot I got, so not all is lost.
Left corner guests
In left corner we have family and friends. Lewa and his wife, Tahu and his wife, Pohatu and his sweetheart, and a peep at Moonbreeze (Lewa's daughter) talking with her boyfriend. The thing I love most about these image are the poses and life they contain.
Greetings From Familiar Faces
Overall these pictures of gathered friends and family from the Life of Lewa series are fun, even in their imperfection. They seem to tell a story, one of remembrance and unity; and in some ways a sense of duty and the fact that that Toa have a duty to care for their children now, 
not just their villagers.
Greeting Couples
Above, Lewa and his wife Venimbus greet friends. Lewa of course keeps in touch with the Nuva leader; how can he possibly forget Tahu, who married Gali at some point. The ladies are of course dressed nicely, decked in pretty fabrics and a few pieces of jewelry.

 The image above (right) is a small close up of Moonbreeze speaking with her sweet heart, Sobrono. Lewa of course keeps a close eye on the two, knowing Sobrono wishes he could touch Moonbreeze.

To the left is Pohatu and his wife, Poroka. The two talk and share a most odd but delicious drink
 of eggnog.

A Fun Party Angle
The fun party angle above is actually kind of interesting to me; the way it displays figures running after each other and captures them out of focus the closer they get to the camera, makes the picture feel more realistic. Also, the figures to the left are invited guests; those two lovely ladies are Princess Marine (a figure introduced in the very first chapter of Life of Lewa), and Kiina. Both are friends with Lewa and his family.
Are we Late?
The Mahri, at least three of the members from the Mahri team were invited to the party. They were a bit confused about what Christmas was, and wondered if they were running late for the celebration. I added them in simply because the scene needed some extra guests.

Berix was invited to the party (above left and right images). He decided to give his hand at portrait painting, and gained a "stroke" of luck when Gelu showed up and served as a model. (In personal silliness, I made Gelu serve as the model because I think his character is hansom).  
In the left image, Kazi chats with Gelu, and critiques Berix's painting skills, just to pull his leg. 

Left image is a clear middle shot of the party floor; and right image is the food table, 
just to show all its goodies. I even added a mini tree to the table for extra festive decor.
Running Children
In the image above, Harmose (Sobrono's little brother), is playing a game of tag with a jungle friend. The balance of these two was so fun to pull off. And no, these characters aren't Agori, they serve as children in this scene.
Paluthero Chugging Soda
Last images are close ups of Lewa's son Paluthero chugging down soda. And to the right in above image, Erozion, Paluthero's brother, is trying not to roll his eyes at his older brother's habits.
To me side view is funniest, but I also include front view for laughs.

 Set Details:

The way I made this Christmas scene was by placing a cardboard base on my bed and covered it with suede fabric. Then I surrounded my party floor with a cardboard prop which has door holes and windows. To make it more festive, and less unsightly, I draped a gold curtain over the main wall, to add a Christmas party feel to the room.

Props: I took a cardboard box and used it as a table, then draped a scrap piece of fabric over it as a table cloth. I then filled the table with Barbie and dollhouse food, and completed the scenery by adding a small tree as a center piece.
From there I added a large tree as a main decoration, then filled the room with my chosen characters, and posed them as desired.
For figures holding objects, I used sticky tack to keep it in their hand. Paluthero holding a soda can was pulled off with this method.

Just like that I got my pictures. And now to tell a story with them (for another time).

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting, I'll have to read your story sometime to get a better knowing of some of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you find it interesting..unfortunately the Life of Lewa story isn't yet written. I'm still working on it, and sometime will be putting up the history behind it. But at some point I will definitely be posting Life of Lewa chapters on here; so you'll know. ^.~

      Delete