Saturday, January 18, 2020

Toasty Kino



Toasty Kino- Toasty Kinbean (keen bean).

"That's it", she thought, "just inch by inch and I'll make it through over these really really hot gaps of lava and be home safe." As she spread her legs across a boiling spring, though skinny compared to others she had seen, she thought about what a friend back home would say, "If you get too close to the source of a hot spring you either end up as a steamed fish or a roasted pile of goop like the beans you're having for dinner."
"No!" she huffed to herself as sweat dripped down her brow, "I will not be a Kiinbean, I won't go down in history as bean soup, I will make it out of here even if I am a little toasty."

(A little story bit of 'Kiinbean's' thoughts as she traveled through a dangerous volcanic area, the heat source of her favorite hot springs nearby).


Kino, or Kinbean were quick nick names for Kiina when I was trying to name my art files for this picture.

I wasn't planning on making this into an illustration. It started with wanting to play around with some Bionicle symbols, and Glatorian/Toa mask icons. Some mixing up and size adjustment of said icons gave me something that looked like a built, semi buff Kiina.

I wasn't sure about background, but her pose looked like she was trying not to step in something while looking down. First I thought maybe she was edging her way along a narrow strip of trail dangerously close to the edge of a cliff. When I went to figure out how to make that happen, it went another direction and instead I thought it would be interesting if she were carefully traveling over lava veins.

The background is of two different Toa element symbols, then gradient was added to the different pieces for color, and finally I played with some texture overlays and filters for either a glowing look, or a scorched look.


Process pages of Toasty Kino. 

No comments:

Post a Comment